Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Great Stone Lantern of Hwaeomsa



Hwaeomsa in Jirisan National Park supposedly has the highest stone lantern of its kind in the world. Standing at 6.4m, it was the largest stone lantern of its kind ( before the 1960s). It's National Treasure No. 12. Most stone lanterns have an octogonal-shaped  column but this one is fashioned after an hour-glass, a popular style during the Shilla Dynasty.


Stone lanterns have a symbolic function - representing the path to enlightenment but they may have also been used in earlier days to provide some light to monks making their way in the pre-dawn darkness to the main hall, Gakhwangjeon,  for early chanting sessions. I'd like to think they still place a candle within it on special days at least instead of simply using electricity. The temple grounds here apparently are a sight to behold when they celebrate Buddha's birthday with a lantern festival.



Ironically, I picked a bad time to be virtuous and to watch how I spent my won when I went to the gift shop at Hwaeomsa. Shouldn't have curbed the inclination to splurge on a pretty gold-plated book mark shaped after the famous stone lantern here.

Sources:

http://www.ocp.go.kr:9000/ne_dasencgi/full.cgi?v_kw_str=&v_db_query=A4%3A36&v_db=2&v_doc_no=00000012&v_dblist=2&v_start_num=1&v_disp_type=4
http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264128
http://www.san-shin.net/Jiri-Hwaeom-1.html
http://www.heritage.go.kr/eng/tou/tou_the_11_sce.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment