Lucky Seoulites - Yo Yo Ma is performing with the Silk Road Ensemble on Sunday, April 18 at 5 p.m. at the Seoul Arts Center Concert Hall. The concert is part of the celebrations to mark the 10th anniversary of his Silk Road Project. He's been collaborating with musicians from various musical backgrounds such as Uzbekistan, Iran, China and Korea in commissioned works to explore ways in which East and West can harmonize in terms of styles and instruments.
I had the good fortune once to listen to a solo concert by Ma but it would be wonderful to listen to him perform alongside other musicians. Been a fan of his for a long time - how many other musicians are as comfortable as he is, performing with the Muppets, Bobby McFerrin, an Argentinian tango band, Appalachian folk musicians and so on? He's always building musical bridges so I'm hoping someone can hop over to the Seoul Arts Centre Concert Hall this weekend to tell me exactly what I'm missing.
sources:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/ma.html
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2919130
http://www.sac.or.kr/eng/lab2004/yoyoma/
No comments:
Post a Comment