Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ggoma's Going "Home" After His 9-day Adventure Out in Cheonggye-san

Annyeong Ggoma or Kkoma or  "Kid" ( if you prefer),

Just read on the Net that your little break from Seoul Zoo has been cut short after you were caught today in a trap placed on the summit of Cheonggye-san. I'm relieved to hear that you're in good shape and I bet you must be secretly glad that the zookeepers finally caught up with you as I can imagine the pickings off the mountain in this chilly winter must be pretty thin.


I trust that the vet at the animal clinic in the zoo will give you a clean bill of health  before you're returned to your enclosure. It was kinda funny to hear how attempts to sedate were more challenging than expected - if the frigid temperature on the mountain top was so cold that it could freeze the anaesthetic, I suppose you must be glad to get back to more comfortable quarters. Even though you do have a fairly thick coat, you were not born for such chilly climes. Don't know where you were actually born and how Seoul Zoo came to be your address but I don't suppose you can call the summit of Cheonggye-san home either.


Poor Kid - mian-he, I couldn't resist putting up these pics even though they are an affront to your dignity! But you did remind me of my own pets looking so vulnerable while they were asleep.


You can take comfort from the fact you'll have more flattering photos of you appearing on the Net soon. You've already got your five minutes of fame as news of your 9-day escape has been covered in places like the UK, USA, Singapore and India. Funny though, Emirates 24/7 posted a photo of another bear -it's not even the same colour!

Don't worry too much if the zoo officials are a little curt with you for forcing them to get out in the freezing outdoors to search for you. The publicity you've created for the zoo will probably bring in more won to its cofffers this December than at any other time.

Pity you can't talk. I'd love to know how you spent your vacation. Just count yourself lucky. I've not even managed to get a week-long break this year!

Kisses and hugs ( metaphorically speaking),
ajumma

P.S.  (updated):


Is it true what KBS World reported? That zoo officials are " planning to find a new partner" for you as they believed you "ran away due to quarrels with the 30-year-old female bear with which ( you were) living"? Do I hear wedding bells in 2011?


Click here for the earlier posting on Ggoma..

source:
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2010/12/15/3/0302000000AEN20101215003100315F.HTML
http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Basic/ArticleEnglish/ArticlePhoto/YIBW_new_showArticlePhotoView.aspx?contents_id=PYH20101215048300341&PAGINGCURRENTPAGE=1
http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Basic/ArticleEnglish/ArticlePhoto/YIBW_new_showArticlePhotoView.aspx?contents_id=PYH20101215044500341&PAGINGCURRENTPAGE=1
http://www.emirates247.com/news/world/best-of-web-runaway-bear-back-behind-bars-2010-12-15-1.329661
http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_Dm_detail.htm?No=78005

No comments:

Post a Comment